Saturday 25 February 2012

Day 103 - January 3

Woke up and packed everything into the car. We checked out of the hostel and made it to the surfing school by 9:30am. We followed the instructors van about 5km east to a beach that had some waves. The usual beach they use, which is across the street from their store, didn't have any waves at all. Surfers can't just go to the beach and expect awesome waves, they have to search for it.

We were taught the basics of surfing. We would lie on our board and paddle with our hands in the same direction as the wave, then as the wave is underneath you, you would do a push up, then spring up on your two feet. It seemed easy enough.

Wet suits do wonders! I want to get my own. The ocean didn't feel cold at all. We gave a little photoshoot show to our group of about 15 people.

We used soft styrofoam surfboards as they were easier to get on and it wouldn't hurt us as much if we fell and it banged us. I thought it wouldn't be that hard to start out surfing but of the 35 times or so out there, I got about 2 good ones where I fully stood and rode the wave. It felt awesome!! I think I am addicted now.
Wait...where's the wave?
Incoming!
Surf's up dude
Not too bad for $55.
Instructors Matt and Quinn.
After our 2 hour lesson we went for brunch. Craig and I both ordered the open face breakfast sandwich. It had spinich, bacon, and a poached egg with hollandaise sauce. One of the best breakfast sandwiches I've had in awhile, or it just could've been that I was really hungry after surfing.

The Cape Otway Lighthouse was our next destination. This lighthouse wasn't as big as the one we saw 2 days ago, but this one we were allowed to climb to the top of it and look out to the ocean.
Oh my god! That ship has a lot of hot chicks on there.
Yo Captain?! Pick me up at the lighthouse,
ASAP!!

If there was ever a disaster out at sea, you can call them or raise a flag. Also, vice versa if the ship needed to communicate with the lighthouse. The flag system is called the International Maritime Signal Flags which is part of the International Code of Signals. Each flag has a meaning. For example ,if they rose the flag H (hotel) it would mean 'I have a pilot on board' or flag E (Echo) 'I am altering my course to starboard'.






Fire in the hole!
Our next destination was to Otway Boardwalks and zipline, but by the time we got there at 4:00pm, they were closing down. booooourns!
Our next stop was the 12 apostles. We walked along the beaches to the first and second apostles. The beach had really good waves. Wish I had a board and wetsuit.

We drove to the 12 Apostles info centre where we could see the rest of the apostles.
My GQ-esk pose.

It's Wiki time. The rock formations were known as Sow and Piglets until in 1922 it was renamed to the 12 Apostles, even though there are only 9 stacks. 1 stack collapsed in 2005, so now only 8 remain.

We then headed toward Warrnambool where I called ahead to book for a dorm for the two of us at the Beach Backpackers for $27 a night. On the way there, Craig hit a tiny bird and killed it. He's now a bird murderer.
'Oh sh..' were the birds last words. I saw him mouth it. True story.

Why God?! Take me!! I'm feeble!!
Warrnambool turned out to be a bigger town than I thought. There were shopping malls and lots of restaurants. Seemed like an Airdrie to me. Apollo Bay was a really tiny town and I thought Warrnambool would be the same.

The hostel seemed pretty well kept. They had a huge social area that had a pool table, large LCD TV, Xbox and plenty of tables and couches. Very roomy and up-to-date. Not like Surf side backpackers. It had a really small kitchen and social area and seemed unclean, but it did have free internet, which is rare. We stayed in a 4 bedroom dorm.

A little shout out to the Fosters.





No comments:

Post a Comment