Friday 18 November 2011

Day 31 - October 23

The main purpose of today was to find a nice pair of walking shoes. My Converse and dress shoes are hurting me at work. Note to other backpackers, bring comfortable walking shoes. I sacrificed comfort for style. Big mistake.

I googled the biggest mall in Melbourne and Chadstone shopping mall came up. It has 530 stores and is the oldest mall in Victoria. It is apparently the biggest mall in the southern hemisphere.

I started off in the Athlete's Foot store. The guy measured my feet. Apparently my left foot is a size 9 and my right foot is a size 9.5 and I have a size E for foot width. Then he asked me to walk across a machine that pinpoints where all the pressure is when I walk (called Fitprint Analysis). The machine determined that I roll in when I walk. Pretty neat. He was all gung ho with the feet technology. Though in my eyes I think the machine is more of a 'sales pitch'. In the end, they are still just shoes salesmen, with maybe a shinier pen than Sportchek or something.

I narrowed it down to 2 shoes, the Nike Free Run +2 ($179) and the Asics GT-2160 ($199).


I told the guy I would come back after I looked around since I just started shopping. He wrote down what shoes I wanted on a piece of paper and handed it to me so that if I come back and want the shoes, I would just give them the paper. It also had his name on it, I guess this would prevent sales from being stolen by other workers.

I was already on the top floor of the mall, so I decided to start at the top and work my way to the bottom. It wasn't long till I started working my way through the shops on the bottom level since all the expensive stores were at the top. Stores on the top floor included: LV, Chanel, A/X, Gucci, Ted Baker, etc, stores that are not backpacker friendly. Heck, I bought a button up shirt from Target last week for work, and I would never in my lifetime buy clothes from there, not that I'm against people who do or anything, I'm just not into the homeless look haha.

I started getting thirsty too (the weather was about 25 degrees, nice and hot). I actually wore my sunglasses today! Finally some nice weather. I went to New Zealand Natural for a Chillo (pretty much like a frappachino from Starbucks). It was delicious!


These stores are everywhere

I went into a couple of the Mens clothing stores and the store Politix has really nice jackets. It's a little like Underground, but a lot more stylish. The jackets have a Japanese style to them. When I was in Japan a few years ago I bought a couple and they are still my favourite jackets. Another store, Roger David, had really nice ties. They were styled ties that were not symmetrical. Ties with edge. I was in tie heaven. I may have to come back to this store on the last leg of my trip to buy some and bring home.





There was a part of the mall where there was live cooking. At the time I was there, an asian chef was prepping dim sum, or should I say yum cha, for about 30 people. The show after was decorating cupcakes. Neat idea for a shopping mall.
aka the dollar store





I also passed by a store called 'The reject shop', funny enough I didn't find myself in there. Self serviced haha.









I went to a couple of more shoe stores and the last one I went to was Foot Locker. The same Asics shoes were $129 here, a lot cheaper than the first store I went to. The only problem was that they didn't have my size!! Rahhhhh!







To calm my anger, I went for a snack in the food court. It was about 30 mins before the mall closed and some of the restaurants had food deals. I bought a $2 cup of fried stuff. It had a smiley face, fries, wedges and shui mai. What an odd combination of food. Ketchup was extra at $0.20 per packette. Damn you Australia and your expensiveness.








When I sat down, I couldn't figure out how to get the ketchup out. About 10 seconds later, I squeezed the ends together and BAM! I just saw the greatest invention ever (next to high speed internet). Now I get why it's $0.20 per packette.

The mall closed at 5:00pm, but the bigger department stores closed at 6:00pm. I went into Myers and David Jones (like The Bay) and looked for some clothing for the Melbourne Cup on November 1st. It's dubbed the race that stops a nation. Lots of people dress up for this event. Not just dress shirt and ties, but bow ties and suspenders style. I looked for some shirts and weird bow ties. I found a black and white checkered shirt and a yellow bow tie. Bingo. Looked retarded enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment