Sunday 16 October 2011

Day 9 - October 1

Today is the day my sister leaves me :( We got up early to pack all of our stuff since I was no longer staying at the Discovery Hotel. It was a $13 van ride to the airport for the each of us. The Airport has a monopoly on the public transportation to and from the airport. There are no trains that go there. Government bastards. My sister checked in at United for her flight to Sydney, then from Sydney to LA, then LA back to Calgary. It was time for her to head to the gate, oh great, I knew the tears would start flowing, and they did. After we said our goodbyes, I went back to the city and back to the State Library.




This library makes me feel like I was back in University again since I always studied at the MacKimmie Library back home. Applied for more jobs. I was there for about 6 hours.






Afterwards I went back to the hostel to pick up my giant backpack and head off to my new home. On my way back to the hostel, I stopped by Pappa Roti where they serve this awesome bun that my sister loves, so I bought one in hounor of her since she's the best sister in the world.



After a 30 minute bus ride to my new place, I met my house mate, Raul. He's a 33 year old Spaniard in the middle of finishing his masters. He's travelled quite a bit and is learning the different cultures of different places and bringing that knowledge back to his home country. Sounds like a spy to me, but a very cool, down to earth spy. Nicholas had called me that day to let me know that he and Zeena would not be back for another 2 nights. After Raul and I introduced ourselves for about 10 minutes, I asked him to point me in the direction to the nearest shopping center, I had to buy groceries. Knowing that I wouldn't be driving a car, I brought my backpack to carry my groceries back in.

I walk past a YMCA and went in to scope it out. It costs a one-time initial fee of $99 to join then the regular price of a membership is $31.20 fortnightly (which means bi-weekly) [The fortnight is a unit of time equivalent to fourteen days. The word derives from the Old English feorwertyne niht, meaning "fourteen nights"]. Too expensive for a backpacker and for a lazy ass like me.

I headed to a grocery store and proceeded to buy food similar to student life/bum: instant noodles, soup, hot dog weiners, eggs, bread, jam, juice, crackers. That's all I bought as since I didn't have a car, I knew I couldn't carry that much back. I walked past a cemetery on the way back, pretty creepy as it was (wait for it)....dead quite.... haha. Got back home and made my first meal since I landed in Melbourne, noodles with sliced hot dog meat for dinner. After dinner, watched some tv, then went to bed.

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget to include fruits and vegetables at your meals. Hope you can get a suitable job soon.

    ReplyDelete