Saturday 12 May 2012

Day 131 - January 31

I got a call for an interview. It was for an ad I replied to on Gumtree.com.au advertising a nougat maker position. I went to Boffins Bakery that afternoon for the interview, located in the Malaga suburb (about a 10 minute bus ride).
When I arrived, I was told to wait on the couches. Another guy came in with his mom. The dude looked about 17 years old. He was also there for the same position, but like Highlander 'there can be only one', me!!

I was called into David's office, the manager. The interview was pretty standard. In interviews, I always have a smile and seem enthusiastic. I try and ask as many questions as possible so that it seems like I am very interested in the job, even if I'm not (since I just want to make money). The position paid $21 an hour. At the end of the interview, I asked to see how the nougat was made, he agreed, but after he interviewed the other guy.

I thought I had this in the bag since I've never heard of anyone bringing their mom to their interview. She was practiacally changing his diapers in front of everyone. After about 10 minutes, the 3 of them came out and David told us to follow him. He guided us to the back of the warehouse. There were a lot of baking sheets on racks everywhere. Making nougat was a small part of their business with the biggest part being cookies. He took us to a room that was about the size of a 3 regular living rooms. It was really hot in there. Plus the rotating drum where the almonds are roasted was really loud. He got Tony, diaper boy, to put on a hairnet and gloves as he was doing a trial with the 2 workers. I got to help out smooth the nougat onto the rice paper. It was super gooey.

After about 30 mins of learning the whole process of how nougat is made, I talked to David. I asked him if Tony got the job and he said he was leaning towards him since he actually has experience making candy. Are you serious? Of all the people that I could be battling for the position, it's someone who's actually made candy before. What luck. I did get to try the nougat though. It tasted so good.

Well, as most people do, I made myself feel better that I didn't get the job by pointing out the cons of working there: it was super hot in the room and really loud. Plus it didn't seem very safe and the position was for 2 days a week, not full time. There, now I feel better haha. I didn't leave disappointed anyways. It was quite interesting and an experience to see first hand how nougat was made. Oh, the Australians pronounce it 'nu-gah', not 'nu-get'. Bunch of weirdos haha.












No comments:

Post a Comment