Tuesday 24 April 2012

Day 109 - January 9

We decided not to stay in Warrnambool and got back onto the Great Ocean Road. We passed by the London Bridge lookout.
In case you can't see the words: 'On the evening of January 15, 1990, the main arch connecting London Bridge to the mainland cracked and fell into the sea. Fortunately no one was injured. Two people marooned on the new island were rescued hours later by helicopter.'


If the left part of the bridge didn't collapse, we would be able to walk onto the bridge.

We arrived in Apollo Bay and went surfing again. We rented a board and wetsuit for $20 from the same place we took the lessons.

The waves were a lot bigger this time. I went out a bit farther into the ocean this time but after getting my ass handed to me by the waves, I decided to head closer to land and practice more with the smaller waves. I didn't learn the logistics of surfing. Looking back on the lessons, they weren't really teaching us a lot. The ocean knew that and took advantage of that. There was one wave I tried to ride and the ocean handed my ass to me. I actually talked to the ocean. The conversation went like this:

"Hey ocean, how's it going? I hope you're nice to me since I'm new to riding your waves and all".

"Hey Alex, welcome to Australia. You're doing okay for a newbie, but you shouldn't try my bigger waves till later. By the way, here's your ass".

The wave broke right down on top of me and it took me for a tumble. My chin actually hit the sand floor and dazed me a bit. The inside of my mouth was chopped up from me biting it to pieces. I was spitting blood for 5 minutes. After resting for about 10 minutes. I went back out.

I rode a couple of the smaller waves. I thought I try a bigger wave. This time I lost my balance and it felt like I was in a washing machine. I did a cartwheel and a summersault in the waves. Then the side of my face hit the ocean floor. Now I have scraps on my chin and the side of my right face.

After surfing, we drove along to find some hostels, but most were booked up. We decided to head on the road back to Melbourne and find a hostel with vacancy along the way.
We stopped for another Ice Cream in Anglesea. Post surfing ice cream is always delicious.

After that we stopped in Torquay at the Home @ backpackers. It was about $28 a night. It was a nice home style type of backpackers. Cozy living room with attached kitchen. The girl at reception was super cute. She lived upstairs by herself.

Made a ham, cheese and tomato toasty. This is one of the things I'll bring back to Canada.
Australians love their toasties.
Had to improvise with a waffle press.
Craig and I called it a day since we were tired out from surfing.

No comments:

Post a Comment