Saturday 10 March 2012

Day 105 - January 5

Ordered a Pancake surprise for breakfast at a small cafe in Halls Gap. It had a banana, a slice of pineapple, maple syrup, and ice cream on top. Breakfast of champions! I thought I took a picture of it, but guess not.

Went to the information centre and asked for other attractions in the Grampians. They told us to go to the Boroka lookout and the Mckenzie waterfall. The lookout was pretty cool.
The lookout to the vast of Australia... of nothing...

The Mckenzie waterfall was neat. It was a bit of a walk downwards to the base.
The bottom of the waterfall.
We kept climbing down past the barriers on giant rocks and the waterfall stream. If Craig didn't decide to keep going, I probably wouldn't have gone. He's apparently a bad influence.... In a good way.... I think...
This area was closed off as storms wrecked the walk ways, but that didn't stop us.
My new pet rock. I shall call him peanut.
They don't allow you to punch birds.
After the waterfall, we drove out of the Grampians toward Adelaide. On the way there we stopped in the small town of Horsham, pronounced hor-shum, not horse-ham. We asked if there was any interesting places along the way to Adelaide. They told us to check out the bat caves in the Naracoorte National Park.
The best avenue there is.
The best avenue that was.
The best avenue there ever will be.
(Brett Hart quote).


It was $16 ($20 for non students) for a tour of the bar caves. I asked if Bruce Wayne was in the bat caves. The worker said they hear Batman jokes everyday. Ruin my party.
 
It was pretty neat to be in them. The ones we went in were very vast! On some parts we had to use flashlights to see our way.
Bats in a box. Better than a dick in a box.
Not a real bat.
The entrance to the bat cave. On to find Batman.
There was only 4 of us on the tour.
My flashlight lit up some of the rocks around us.

We went into the Bat information centre to read on some more information. I caught Craig at the perfect angle.
What's this test tube thingy?...
Just catching my breath, wait a sec...
After that, we headed for the scenic route along the ocean to Adelaide. We past by a giant lobster on the way.
*Nom nom nom nom*
Damn, I just threw out 10 Litres of butter last night. Could've used that right about now.

I made it to Adelaide in 2 hours when it would usually take 3 hours. There were a lot of wide open roads so it was easy to cruise at 160 km/h, but when we went through towns, I slowed down to the posted limit of 60 km/h as speed cameras and cops would be posted there.

We past by a giant sign that I thought was funny, so I pulled a U-turn.
Calm voice: "Just a grassfire or..."
Angry loud voice: "A deadly inferno?!?!!"
Won't somebody please think of the children?!
(Helen Lovejoy quote [Simpsons])
We got to Adelaide by about 10:00pm and only found 1 hostel that still had their reception open: The Backpackers. It was in Glenelg. We stayed in a room for 6. Once again, Craig and I had the whole room to ourselves. This place had free Internet, which is always a plus!!
Our hostel.
Our room.
This place looked fancy for a hostel. Downstairs was where the common areas were located: reception/bar, kitchen, movie room. To get to your rooms, you had to go outside and enter through massive doors, then down a corridor to your rooms, which had 9 foot ceilings. The rooms were carpeted, had a giant mirror over the fireplace and very roomy for a 6 person dorm. These hostel rooms were the best ones I've stayed in, but the Warrnambool had the best common area.





No comments:

Post a Comment